Vocaloid - Hatsune Miku

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Critiquing Education

        As a fellow student, I do believe that we should have a say in what we are learning. As a whole student body with different backgrounds and experiences in different environments, all of them have an input in this topic. Students entering community college would be around the age of 18 years old, at this time they have been in school for approximately 13 years. With this many years of experiencing different environments and adapting to ones that suit best to them, they have a vivid idea of what an optimal learning space feels like. They are far less experienced in the mindset of college than those who have been here for two or more years and have expectations on which how people teach and how the school should act. The students who have been here for a longer period of time have learned to adapt to this new mindset of college and now "go with the flow." The longer you stay, the more the system sticks with you, you become less radical in the amount of change that you want and now have a more conservative feel. There's a saying where "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of thing going around, the students are unhappy, but they are at least earning credits to graduate. The problem is that, it takes longer and longer for the amount of students heading in to graduate because of this flawed system so what I'm trying to say is that the system is not broken, but it is heavily flawed. Being involved with the school can help with passion because, even though they may not have a passion at the moment, this Passion Class can help bring out a side of them that had been shut away before. The people who were not outspoken to begin with may have some helpful ideas, with the encouragement of the other classmates, they will be able speak out their minds and hopefully have a better understanding of what they might want to do. But it all depends on how this class is taught, if the teachers themselves are not passionate, what's the point of having people with passionless goals and passionless teachers teaching a passionless class. This class requires that both the students and teachers be active and have different ideas to share, the functionality of this class all comes down to the class environment. 
        A flawed system affects a person's education. They should take into consideration what they want rather than what their parents or society pushes them towards. My parents have always pushed me and my brothers to go into the medical field because of how well it pays. Coming from my parents standpoint, it's completely acceptable since they came from a rough and rural country with very little education opportunities. As a child I had no ambition to do anything, all I wanted to do was become of those power rangers fighting crime to save the world. That was soon crushed after the fact that my mom told me it was fiction and that huge giant robots fighting giant monsters was never going to become a reality. And so, my childhood dreams were crushed and were replaced with things like becoming a doctor, a surgeon, a chemist, an orthodontist, or maybe even an engineer. All of which rely heavily on the math and sciences, now don't get me wrong, I love math and science, but that gave me very little to choose from. I was stuck with this mind set of going into the medical field up until this point. I actually am having second thoughts in which where my true passion lays.  I now look back and see that I was only doing this to make my parents proud rather than trying to find a job that best suited me. A small question is all it took for me to realize that this was not my passion, but, I have nowhere I am interested in. Since I've walked down this path, I guess I'll stay on it until I find something else more interesting. The reason why this class is a good idea is that it asks the student to make an insight on themselves and see where they are. They can change their minds before it's too late, too late from causing themselves misery for the remainder of their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment